Frequently asked questions about 'Heritage Counts' can be found below.
What is 'Heritage Counts'?
'Heritage Counts' is an annual survey of the state of England's historic environment. The report summarises policy changes from the year and reports on a wide range of indicators for the historic environment, including:
- numbers of listed buildings in England
- heritage at risk
- planning application decisions
- employment and skills
- funding for heritage
- economic and social benefits (participation, membership, volunteering, education, regeneration etc.)
Alongside the national report are nine regional reports which provide further detail on the state of the historic environment providing data, trends and case studies. They can be found in the Regional Reports section.
What is the purpose of 'Heritage Counts'?
'Heritage Counts' provides the historic environment sector with the information and data needed to make decisions and influence policy. It also highlights issues which are particularly important to the sector.
What are the indicators?
Indicators are easy-to-use statistics that enable year-on-year changes in the historic environment to be tracked. These are set out under three headings:
- Understanding the Assets (the extent of historic assets and the information on them);
- Caring and Sharing (the condition of assets and the resources available to manage them);
- Using and Benefiting (the economic, social and environmental benefits derived from active use of the historic environment).
Data is available at a national, regional and local level in Excel spreadsheets.
Please see the indicators page for the complete set of 'Heritage Counts' indicators.
What are the Themes?
Each year there is a focus on a particular research or policy area. Past themes can be found on our 'Previous Reports' page of this website.
Who produces the 'Heritage Counts' series?
'Heritage Counts' publications are produced by English Heritage on behalf of the Historic Environment Forum which represents all the major heritage organisations in England.
How often do 'Heritage Counts' reports come out?
'Heritage Counts' is published annually, usually in either October or November.
Can I offer comments on the report?
You can have your say in various ways. Please see our Have Your Say page.